statcounter

       

Ionawr 2004 January

Carrog

Where is Carrog?

Carrog is old Welsh for cenllif - a sudden rush of water - a torrent. It was the name of the medieval township which ran from the bridge in present day Glyndyfrdwy, west along the A5 and included Carrog Isa, Carrog Ucha, present day Llidiart y Parc, Pen y Bont Farm and the Wern. East of the bridge in present day Glyndyfrdwy, on the south side of the river Dee, was the medieval township of Mwstwr.

The main village of present day Carrog, on the north side of the road, was the township of Bodorlas. All of the above were in the Parish of Corwen.

Below the road in Carrog, on the south side and going north in a thin strip between the Morfydd road and Rhagatt to the Bwrdd y Tri Arglwydd was the township and old Parish of Llansantffraid Glyndyfrdwy which dates back to before the twelfth century. It has now been absorbed into the parish of Corwen.

When the railway came along the Dee valley in 1864 they named their stations Glyndyfrdwy and Carrog. Houses were then built and Glyndyfrdwy acquired a church and became a separate Parish, and the emerging villages took the respective names.

Strictly speaking the name of Carrog belongs more to Llidiart a Parc than to us! The name of Llidiart y Parc refers to the gateway to the hunting forest land of Owain Glyndwr.

Valamai Webb.

© All material is Copyright of “Y Bont” unless otherwise indicated at the end of the article