statcounter

       

Ebrill 2004 April

Old Carrog and Parc.

Continuing our serialised essay from the 1950s, this month on the subject of Employment:

“Farming was the chief industry, except for local craftsmen, stone mason, cobbler, saddler, stone cutter, slater, tailor, smith and miller. In 1850 there were two smithies in Carrog, one at Llidiart Y Parc and one where the Smithy is now - opposite Bronant which used to be called the Old Smithy.

Two brothers worked the Smithy in the Parc and Evan Jones had the Carrog Smithy. He made the present Church Gates by hand and the gates weighed half a ton. He also made the railings that surround the houses from the Methodist Chapel to Sycamore Terrace (first beyond the Post Office). At the end of the century there were 300 horses on the blacksmith’s book.

The Mill was also a prominent landmark, Felin and Felin Isa. The same Mill Race served both mills. The family called Price owned the mill and they were relations of Prices from Llangollen, Maerdy and Corwen. Mr. Price kept three donkeys to take the sacks of flour back to the farms, the local lads loved to take the laden donkeys to deliver the sacks and then have a ride home on the donkeys.

The village was revolutionised when the train came to Carrog around 1865. Previously all transport was on horse-back, cart horses, and wagons. Penarth Quarry was opened in 1860 and thrived with as many as 300 men working there in its heyday. During this period Park Terrace, Berwyn Street, Park Shop and Quarry Terrace were built and 9 houses were built near Penarth Quarry. The Quarry closed in 1928.

Another important place was the Tailor’s shop. David Jones was the local tailor - he first lived at Carchardy (now Glyndwr Terrace), then in the Swan and then at Crammond. He had two tailors working for him, he made trousers for the quarrymen, farmers and gamekeepers. He also mended clothes and cleaned them.”

© All material is Copyright of “Y Bont” unless otherwise indicated at the end of the article