October 2005

This page contains all the articles in the issue.
Either scroll through the page or select the required article in the table below.
To reduce the loading time all advertisements, photographs and graphics have been removed.

If an article is accompanied by photographs,
this may be viewed by opening the individual file through the bi-lingual menu,
or using the article title link.

* indicates an article has photograph() or graphic(s) attached to the individual file

Editorial Wellies and Wheelbarrows Forties Night
Carrog School * Twinning / Plouyé Forties Night
Health Carrog Merched Y Wawr
Well Done Anna Culshaw Village Hall Lottery
Idwal Pritchard Doris Powell Jones Douglas Grenville Teague
Three Peaks Challenge Letters “Y Bont” Accounts



As you can see there is not much room for an editorial this month, so just a quick mention of a few things. Firstly thank you for the support for the “Y Bont Bash”, the amount raised and our accounts are published in this edition. Secondly the imposition of the 40mph limit in Parc has not cured all careless driving - witness the recently demolished wall. Thirdly we have started an advance notice section - so if you have an event or meeting - no matter how far ahead - please let us know. Fourthly for those of you not familiar with “Star Trek” - we are sorry if you did not understand previous episodes of the Three Peaks saga - the good news is this edition carries the final episode.

There is also a report of the Twinning visit to Plouyé and we would remind everyone this is an all Village project and as such every member of the community is welcome and encouraged to participate.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


Young Henson is growing up fast, and training has begun in earnest. My opinion of him varies from day to day depending on his behaviour. For instance, on Monday he managed to round up my rams in Erw Seion and get them into the pens unaided. I was so impressed with him I told anyone who would listen how good he was going to be. However, later in the week, when he reverted to being a naughty teenager and chased some fat lambs from the house around to the Felin and past Groes Faen, I wasn’t quite so enthusiastic about his potential. Fortunately Vivian and Ruth were about and were able to stop the lambs on the road before they disappeared over the horizon. Henson and myself didn’t speak to each other for a few days after that disaster.

With the Farming Cycle about to start all over again, I have been busy sorting the ewes out and getting them ready for the rams. I picked out the old ones to sell and split the others into handy bunches, then two days later I did it all again as some how one of the gates had opened and the sheep had decided to get re-acquainted with one another.

Things didn’t go much better with the rams either. They do nothing all year long and present no problems until it comes to the time when you actually need them, then they become a liability. I’ve been keeping an old ewe with the rams so she’s handy to keep an eye on. Two of the boys decided she was the sheep world’s equivalent of Catherine Zeta Jones, Catherine Jenkins and Charlotte Church rolled into one. They had a quick punch up over who was going to win her favours and after they had beaten the living daylights out of each other I had one ram walking like ‘Zebedee’ and the other looking like the elephant man. The old ewe in the meantime had made a discrete exit and hasn’t been seen since.

I’ve been selling lambs all through the summer, and am down to my last hundred. I was reasonably content with the prices they achieved, until I made the mistake of looking through some of my Taid’s accounts and discovered he was getting more for his lambs in the late seventies than I am now. I’ve put these papers out of sight in the darkest recesses of the house, as further reading of them would only depress me.

Every year I do a bit of fencing just to keep on top of the job, and with the hay in the shed and my bracken spraying for the year completed I decided to do a stretch - it half killed me. The ground was so dry and hard I couldn’t get the posts in and I damn near broke my back trying. Eventually when I broke the sledgehammer I considered getting a contractor in, but as that would involve paying, which would only break my heart, I decided to persevere.

If it continues to rain and the ground softens I might be finished before Christmas.

Gareth Llan.
© Copyright Gareth Bryan 2005

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

DON’T FORGET 12TH NOVEMBER 2005 - Stupid Boy!

A 40’s Night will be held in the Hall to commemorate the 60th Anniversary of the end of the WWII. A quality band has already been booked to entertain us and we have the promise of traditional refreshments of the Period, so if you like good music and Spam Fritters this could be the night out of the year for you! Rumour has it that a tribute to Dad’s Army may well occur, auditions will be held shortly for Spike, Godfrey and Capt. Mainwaring! Watch this space, as we will keep reminding you. Lets make it a night to remember.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


A busy start to the new term! All the junior children enjoyed a concert in the Llangollen International Pavilion by “Mabon”, a group who already have links with Carrog - two of their musicians supported the Manx group who have stayed with us twice in recent months.

As part of their history project the children all walked to the top of Owain Glyndŵr’s Mount and were encouraged to use their imagination to go back over 600 years. This was helped by the appearance of a local re-enactment society member (and parent!) who was waiting to meet them dressed in traditional attire.

World Book Day was celebrated by dressing up as animals and reciting stories and poems about animals and mythical beasts.

The pupils have also collected money for the Macmillan Nurses by having wacky hairstyles.

Pupils and staff are all glad that Auntie Yvonne’s husband, Emyr, is recovering well from his recent accident - he has decided that in future he will keep well away from ladders and fires and so will not be pursuing a career as a fireman.

The PTFA are organising a series of interesting evenings (Free for All!) in school. Further information from Carrog School, dates in Y Bont Diary.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


Seventeen of us arrived in Brittany from different directions for the Twinning visit - those who arrived on the Roscoff Ferry being met by a duet of Breton pipers thoughtfully provided by our hosts to blow away the cobwebs of a channel crossing.

The festivities commenced with lunch with the members of the Plouyé Twinning Committee in order to introduce us all to Breton cuisine and prepare us for “Le Weekend”.

There is now a Carrog Corner in Plouyé, an amenity area in the middle of their village at the centre of which stands a “Menhir” of Breton granite. Our visit was to mark the occasion of the official opening of the site, presided over by Marcel Le Guern, the mayor, Marc Parayre (President of the Twinning Committee) and Rhys Webb, representing Carrog. To mark the event our delegation presented a slate plaque, suitably inscribed in Welsh, which will in due course be erected in the area.

Toasts were drunk to the future of the twinning and we were then entertained to more cuisine followed by a dance and a magnificent firework display.

Sunday morning gave our party the opportunity to either attend church or take a gentle guided stroll around the historic parts of the village. In order to keep our cultural levels topped up we visited the nearby town of Pleyben, with its historic church and Breton museum. Breton mountains are slightly smaller than Welsh ones and we returned to Plouyé via the highest one, Roc Trevezal, which at 384 metres is only a gentle stroll for Carrog Three Peakers’ but compares very well with Scotland for the quantity and ferocity of its insect population!

Our hosts had anticipated our hunger after a long day and prepared a BBQ in the grounds of the ruined chapel of St. Maudez before we retired to Ty Elise - the ancient Plouyé tavern which has been run for the last 25 years by a Welshman from Merthyr Tydfil!

In accordance with the mottoes of the trip - “No sleeping on Tour” and “Go with the flow” we were all up early on Monday for a visit to the Coreff Brewery in Carhaix, where the Managing Director (and Town Mayor) gave us a personal tour and encouraged us to taste his different brews. We were then allowed to rest on the banks of the river with a picnic provided by our hosts.

Plouyé still holds its own agricultural show much as Carrog did in years gone by and it was a pleasure to be invited by the local show committee. We were treated to the sight of Holsteins whose milk production was phenomenal and to work horses that one of the party observed ...were too big (1800 Kg.!) to go in an Ifor Williams horse box... .

Agriculture is still a serious business in Plouyé and there were no less than 2 MPs and a government minister enjoying the day and circulating in temperatures of over 30 degrees. Rhys Webb was asked to present the trophy for the best beast in the show. Traditionally the annual show prizes are presented at a grand dinner in the village hall to which all of our party were welcomed and where the impromptu entertainment was provided by whoever could get to the microphone first. This feast consisted of five courses and unlimited wine and was the opportunity for us to make further presentations as a thank you for all the hospitality that we had enjoyed. In his speech of welcome the show society president promised that next year all of the Plouyé farmers would visit Carrog, but that they wished to bring their animals with them!

We have all brought back happy memories of the visit and hope to welcome a return party from Plouyé next year.

There will be a meeting of the Carrog/Llidiart y Parc Twinning Association in the near future to which, as in the past, all are welcome.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


Have any memorabilia or trivia from the war years?

If so would you be prepared to loan it to add to the atmosphere of the Forties WWII commemoration night on 12th November.

Please contact Janice Sheasby or any member of the Carrog Village Hall Committee if you do have anything and are willing to loan it.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


Restless Leg Syndrome

This miserable condition affects 5 - 10% of people, it is a neurological disorder first described in 1672 by Thomas Willis, the physician of Charles 11. The term ‘Restless Leg Syndrome’ (RLS) was coined by Professor Ekbom in 1944. The syndrome may begin at any age, even in infancy. Most people who are severely affected are middle-aged or older; severity seems to increase with age. Most people with RLS also experience a more common condition known as periodic limb movement disorder. This is involuntary leg twitching or jerking movements during sleep at 10 - 60 second intervals during the night, often causing disrupted sleep.

What are the symptoms?

Uncomfortable, sometimes very painful sensations in the legs, described as burning, or tugging feelings, as though insects are crawling inside the legs, especially when sitting or lying down, more often in the evening than in the day. Triggering situations are periods of inactivity such as long journeys or sitting in the cinema. Lying down in bed at night often sets it off.

- An irresistible urge to move the legs about, in the hope of relieving the unpleasant sensations. People often pace the floor or kick about in bed, constantly moving their legs while sitting. My father was a sufferer and he would often spend entire evenings writhing about on the floor like a dying fly, much to my mother’s annoyance.

What is the cause?

In most cases the cause is unknown; half of all sufferers have a relative with the condition. In Familial RDS sufferers tend to be younger when symptoms start. In other cases, RLS appears to be related to the following factors or conditions, it is not known if these factors actually cause RLS.

- Low iron levels or anaemia, when the levels are corrected patients may see a reduction in symptoms.

- Chronic disease such as kidney failure, diabetes, Parkinson’s disease, and peripheral neuropathy are associated with RLS. Treatment of the underlying condition often improves RLS.

- Some pregnant women experience RLS, especially in the later stages, for most women the condition resolves within 4 weeks of delivery.

- Certain medication - anti nausea, anti seizure and anti psychotic drugs may aggravate symptoms.

How is RLS diagnosed?

There is no specific test for this, diagnosis is made by evaluating the history and symptoms of the condition.

How is RLS treated?

As any sufferer will know, moving the legs only gives temporary relief. However, RLS can be controlled by finding and, if possible treating, any underlying disorder. For those with no cause, treatment is focused on relieving the symptoms.

Prevention is the key for those with mild to moderate symptoms, cut down on caffeine, alcohol and tobacco (the usual suspects!!) Doctors may recommend the use of supplements to correct deficiencies in iron, folate and magnesium.

Studies have shown that maintaining a regular sleep pattern can reduce symptoms. Some measures can give temporary relief, e.g., plunging feet into a bowl of cold or warm water, ice packs or hot packs on the legs. Go and talk to your doctor as underlying disease or deficiency may be causing your symptoms. Some drug treatments can help in severe cases, research is ongoing and new drugs are being tried which relieve symptoms. As yet there is no magic cure.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


Many of you will have noticed a painter who has been busy at his easel in and around the village throughout the summer. Karl Young, who hails from South Africa came to stay for one night and ended up staying for three months so much did he want to capture our beautiful scenery. As a token of his thanks for the welcome that he received here he presented one of his paintings to the community on the occasion of the Bash. This will now be on permanent display in the Carrog Village Hall.

Karl and Lorraine have now departed on their adventures and we wish them well until they return next year.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


The first meeting for 2005/2006 was held in Seion Chapel Vestry, Corwen on Wednesday 21st. September

Dorothy Hughes welcomed everyone and extended her sympathy to the family of Doris P. Jones in their loss... . “Doris was a faithful member of Merched Y Wawr for many years and even after moving to Llangollen made a great effort to support every activity. It will be a great loss”.

We had a very pleasant evening with Joan Salisbury, of Cyffylliog showing a variety of excellent handicraft including bags, embroidery, quilting, cross stitch, knitting, ornamental boxes and much more - it was a homely night with everyone having useful ideas to make one or two items for Christmas.

The next meeting will be on October 19th. in the same place and we will welcome Welsh learners to see artwork by Keith Morgan of Glyndyfrdwy.

A warm welcome to all who want to practice speaking Welsh.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


Three former pupils of Carrog School gained prizes at the recent Dinas Bran School prize giving evening.

Heather Blair was presented with the R. W. Ellis prize for Best All Round Performance in GCE and the P.T.A. English Language, Physics and R. E. prizes.

Katherine Lloyd received the Welsh second language prize and Katie Stokes received the Textiles prize.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


Anna continues to progress and was recently taken on a short holiday to the seaside by her Nain and Taid. She still has some months to go before she can return to school and is presently being tutored at home. We continue to wish her a full recovery.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


September winners

1st Sue Ventre - £20
Runner up Karen Ravenscroft - £10

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


To Idwal Pritchard for a speedy return to good health.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –



On the afternoon of August 2nd the whole community was saddened to hear of the death of Grenville Teague, husband of the late Olwen, caring father to Melfyn and loving brother to Brenda.

Everyone knew that Grenville had not been in good health for several years and although there were signs of deterioration he kept in good spirits and his conversation was always interesting and humorous. His death came as shock to everyone who knew him.

He was the son of David and Dilys Teague, Glyndyfrdwy and he spent most of his life in Llidiart y Parc, where he chose to retire.

He married Olwen, Cefn Bodig, Parc, Bala in 1954 and they lived in Fron Heulog, Carrog and later in Glandwr. Melfyn became part of the family, where he was the light of his parent’s life. In 1964 they moved to Carrog Post Office where Grenville was able to use all the experience he had gained working in Astley’s, Corwen. He was exceptionally kind to all his customers and highly respected. As a family they took a very active part in the village, with a raffle for good causes always on the counter and sweets for the children.

Grenville was a faithful member of the Baptist Chapel where he was an organist for a period of time. He enjoyed music and attended local concerts. Katherine Jenkins became his favourite and he was exceptionally pleased when he was presented with her autograph after a Liverpool concert. He enjoyed all sport from football to tennis and was a founder of the village snooker club. He took a leading part in the late seventies in ensuring that we were able to have a community hall in Carrog - he was its first treasurer.

After retiring from the Post Office the family moved to Fron Derw, Llidiart y Parc where he was happy planning his garden and searching for interesting plants to make the area a place worth seeing.

We offer our sympathy to Melfyn and all the family in their loss.

The funeral, led by Dafydd Rees Roberts, Llanuwchllyn was held on Thursday August 11th in the Baptist Chapel, followed by interment in Carrog cemetery. The organist was Aurora Williams and the bearers were David Jones, Brynle Hughes and nephews Alun and Gareth with arrangements by Arthur Evans and Son.

A collection was made for Nightingale House.

Brynle Hughes

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


On the 30th. July 2005, peacefully in Wrexham Maelor Hospital and in the presence of her family, Doris Powell Jones, Algwyn, Llangollen, passed away (late of Fron Newydd and Cileurych).

The funeral was led by Rev. Dafydd Rees Roberts on Friday August 5th. with a service in Capel Seion, Carrog followed by interment in the Baptist Cemetery. The organist was Mrs. Aurona Williams, with Arthur Evans and Son in charge of funeral arrangements.

This tribute was given by Rev. Dafydd Rees Roberts on the day of the funeral:-

“Dear Friends,

Can I first on behalf of all of us offer our sympathy to you all in your sad loss; especially to you, Ed on losing your dear wife. To Kay, Chris, Aled a Gwyn who have lost a very special Mother and Nain. To Auntie Gwen, who has lost a dear niece, and to Vivian, Felicia, John, Haydn, Raymond and their families who have lost a very dear sister and aunt.

Please accept our sympathy for losing one who was so dear to you, and so suddenly. It is difficult to believe that her health deteriorated so quickly and that she was taken from us, being only a few weeks from her 70th. birthday.

Doris was the eldest of the Cileurych children and while thinking over things in the past few days I realised that I had known her all my life or at least since I was very young. I remember Ed’s parents living in Coed Talog before they moved to Fron Newydd in 1955. They were great friends with Taid and Nain Y Lon and they came with Ed to visit us frequently. Through Ed we got to know Doris and the Cileurych family and that was years before Lil and Hayn became friends. I remember Doris in those days being very friendly and likeable. That impression was strengthened over the years. Doris liked people, especially her family. She was good at socialising and had many friends.

Through the years Doris worked hard for the district of Carrog. She liked to sing and had a good voice and when she was young had competed in Eisteddfodau. She was a member of Cor Merched Edeyrnion. When there was an Aelwyd in Carrog she acted in many of their plays. But although she supported many organisations over the years it was here in the Chapel where she made the greatest contribution. She was brought up and baptised here and was a full member. She played the organ for many years and always took a full part in the services. For many years she was the treasurer and but for Doris and a few other faithful members, the Chapel would not have kept its doors open. Jesus Christ was very important to her.

The family was important to Doris. She didn’t go far from home to find a husband and married the son of the farm next door over 45 years ago. They lived happily in Fron Newydd and farmed there until retiring to Llangollen 8 years ago. Doris had looked forward to retiring to her bungalow and had her wish when they retired to Algwyn. It crowned everything to have her daughter Kay and family as neighbours. She thought the world of you and you likewise of her. Feelings which were obvious to all. Your care and great love were a comfort for her in the last weeks as her health deteriorated. Her extended family were important to Doris and she enjoyed arranging meals for her brothers, sisters and their families to celebrate family occasions. She thought the world of her nieces and nephews and likewise they thought the world of Auntie Do. Her in-laws had a very special relation and Lil always praised Doris over the years for her kindness - nothing was too much trouble especially during lambing or at harvest time.

As a family your loss is great and so is the loss to Chapel and community. But it is to you Ed and to Kay, Chris, Aled and Gwyn that the loss is greatest. You will have many fond memories to treasure and a place to thank God for the loan of such a dear person, but it is difficult to let go of her so soon. We pray and hope that you have the energy to cope with your loss. Jesus can conquer death and open the door to eternal life beyond death and out of the reach of pain.”

Lil Powell

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


“Y Bont” Year End Figures

Sept 2004 to August 2005


Donations Received 749.00  
Advertisements 450.00  
Welsh Language Board 105.00  
Bont Bash 2004 312.00  
Corwen Town Council 75.00  
Tsunami Appeal 748.27  
Cash Held In Trust 100.00  
Misc 17.50  
Total   2,556.77
Printing 784.95  
Carrog Hall Use 25.00  
Donation 26.73  
Tsunami Appeal 784.27  
Return of Cash in Trust 100.00  
Total   1684.95

Balance for 1st Sept 2005


If you have any questions regarding the above figures please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be pleased to clarify. This years Bont bash is not included as it was held in the next financial Year, but it raised 195.00 for the Bont funds.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


The following letter accompanied by a certificate have been received from Hope House -

Dear Colin and all involved with 3 Peaks Challenge and “Y Bont”,

Thank you so very much for forwarding your donation amounting to £2005.00, towards the work of Hope House Children’s Hospices, raised during your recent 3 Peaks Challenge. We very much appreciate your support.

This year we are proud to commemorate 10 years of caring at Hope House in Shropshire and our 1st Birthday at Ty Gobaith in North Wales. We provide periods of respite care at both of our hospices, and in addition we support families in their own homes through our Community Nursing Teams. Demand for pre- and post-bereavement support is growing, we offer this to the whole family, including young brothers and sisters, for as long as it is needed. None of this would be possible without the generous support of donors such as you.

We depend almost entirely upon voluntary income to fund our work with terminally ill children and their families, and need to raise around £3 million each year to maintain our vital services.

Thank you all for your warm welcome recently to your evenings’ entertainment - it was nice to see so many an “old” face!

On behalf of our children and families who will benefit from your kindness, please accept my grateful thanks.

Yours sincerely


* * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dear Editor

Many congratulations to Y Bont and all involved with organising such a splendid evening in the village hall. It was really enjoyed by everyone, young and old, and made one proud to be part of a village with such a community spirit which includes and welcomes us all. Diolch i pawb- - - Valmai Webb

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


Captains Log Stardate 10.06.2005 1800hrs

During the circumnavigation of the second peak, Navigator Roberts remarked to Captain Lee at how the brake linings on the Millennium Falcon had not either squeaked or emitted odour during the descent of the mini peak they had previously climbed. Both pilots of the Falcon agreed that the reason for this was the much-reduced velocity of descent that had been used and chuckled heartily. Unbeknown to both pilots, a mini disaster was unfolding, which became apparent in the closing chapter of the mission.

Having gone alongside at Earth Station Keswick to take on provisions and fuel, Capt. Lee piloted his vessel to rendezvous Station Pike, to await our intrepid explorers. During the trip, Nav. Roberts had to regularly correct Capt. Lee’s navigation as apparently the Millennium Falcon had developed a fault which resulted in the vessel automatically going alongside each watering station en route. Nav. Roberts had to be firm with Capt. Lee in order to keep the mission on track and ordered him to force his vessel past the watering stations. Capt. Lee protested, complied and sulked briefly.

On reaching Base Station Pike, the crew of the Falcon found that the Cargo Vessel Mercedes had already come along side, and that the one of crew of the Cargo Vessel was asleep. The other crewmember was interrogating other explorers to find out if they had any experience of piloting such a magnificent vessel as the Mercedes, as Senior Nav. Sheasby had never had the privilege to fly something with such a small engine, and began to lose hope that Capt. Fisher would ever stand down and take the navigators seat.

Three long hours past, the explorers came into view and the ground crews of both vessels sprang into life and prepared the vessels for departure. The Falcon took on its cargo of explorers and equipment, Nav. Roberts engaged forward thrust, but released suddenly as a loss of pressure to the aft-portside lead to an unbalance in the vessel! A damage inspection mission revealed that one of the Falcons tyres had deflated and had to be swapped quickly! All the explorers’ equipment was unloaded roughly, an online replacement carried out. Capt. Fisher advised that the Falcon should immediately return to Maintenance Depot Dolben for repairs, but the crew of the Flacon were on a mission and refused to comply as the mission would be jeopardised. Capt. Fisher protested, Capt. Lee and the Crew of the Flacon returned the protest. Capt. Fisher sulked, Senior Nav. Sheasby chuckled, but immediately ceased chuckling upon realising that the empty navigators seat was once again his, and that Capt. Fisher had resumed command of his vessel. Nav. Roberts re-took the helm and piloted the Falcon sharply out of Base Station Pike.

A long dark trip followed through the dark expanse of Scottish night, Nav. Roberts piloted the Falcon at Warp Three figures to the frontier of the highland terrain. Capt. Lee resumed command of his vessel once the highway trek had been completed. Upon taking command Capt. Lee checked the gauges of his vessel and immediately remarked at how low the content of the fuel cell had become, he quizzed Nav. Roberts on his ability to read gauges. Nav. Roberts protested at Capt. Lee’s insolence and sulked for a short while. The explorers were asleep to the rear of the vessel, Nav. Roberts and Capt. Lee resumed communication and began to calculate the distance to be completed, content of the fuel cell, fuel preservation methods and contingency plans.

The map was scaled in the darkness by thumb, Nav. Roberts calculated that 78 miles needed to be completed before the end of the mission. Capt. Lee explained that he was not aware as to how far his vessel would travel with a fuel cell at 25% capacity. Nav. Roberts quizzed Capt. Lee as to why he was not so familiar with his vessel that he did not know how far it would travel under such conditions, Capt. Lee Protested at Nav. Roberts’s insolence, and sulked for a short while. Shortly after passing the last closed fuel dump, the piloting crew spoke to each other once again, realising the mission was in danger of failing. Teamwork was needed to complete it, and fuel conservation tactics were deployed. Air conditioning was switched off. On board entertainment was abandoned, travelling illumination was reduced to minimum, forward thrust reduced to Warp 50, unnecessary weight dumped. Soon, conditions inside the Falcon became Neolithic, odours from the four male crew become intoxicating, as gasses were emitted during the early hours of the morning, and temperatures plummeted. Still the miles passed and still the Falcon remained in motion at reduced warp and comfort. The flight crew continued to plan to the end of the mission, quietly as not to wake the explorers.

Capt. Lee maintained thrust at 50 as he skilfully dodged wilder beast that had taken up residence on the inter-peak highway. He began his descent of a steep slope toward some maintenance that was taking place on the highway. The vessel control indicators were at Red. Capt. Lee cursed at being forced to lose momentum and have to restart, wasting precious fuel. Capt. Lee deployed the brakesÉ and deployed the brakesÉ. the brakes please Capt. Lee! He cursed as a grinding metal on metal noise was emitted, Nav. Roberts also cursed as he realised what the sound meant. Capt. Lee demanded to know what Nav. Roberts knew, but Nav. Roberts was reluctant to tell him in case the explorers woke, and broke into panic upon hearing the fate of the mission.

“No brakes Captain” came the reply quietly as not to alarm the explorers. ****!!!! Was the reply from Capt. Lee! Nav. Roberts questioned if the Falcon had ever been near Maintenance Depot Dolben, but withdrew his remark as Capt. Lee began to protest! As the Falcon descended Glencoe with the absence of brakes, spare tyre and fuel, the hand brake was deployed as means of slowdown. This tactic was used to completion of the mission. As time and miles passed it became evident that the Millennium Falcon was going to complete the mission come what may, and after a brief navigation failure at Fort William, the Falcon deployed its explorers at base Station Nevis. Capt. Lee and Nav. Roberts congratulated each other upon completion of the mission in the face of adversity and for the fact that the on board explorers were blissfully unaware of the drama that had just unfolded. As the Explorers departed for the Third and Final Peak, Explorer Roberts returned briefly to explain that both Explorers Davies and Roberts had been awake through out, and had heard every word of the plan and panic! Capt. Lee and Nav. Roberts sulked briefly!

22 hours and 14 minutes after Steve, Pete, Ian and Anthony left for the top of Snowdon from Pen Y Pass, they returned at the Foot of Ben Nevis, to a bacon ‘butty’ cooked by Paul with the only utensil on the trip, Colin’s penknife. Eric’s car had 7 miles worth of petrol left in its tank!

This challenge was to raise funds for Hope House. Between the veteran and the youth we managed to raise two thousand and five pounds for the cause. We had a few laughs on the way and a few trials, no trip will ever be without trials if a team from Carrog is involved! A drinking competition was held later on that evening to celebrate the trip, the veterans won, with Pete staying awake for forty hours still standing! We hope you enjoyed this sideways glance at our trip.

This brings the total amount raised by Carrog and Parc, in four years from various challenges, to £9,000.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


To Nia Roberts on gaining her NVQ3 in Secretarial Duties.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –


Tuesday 11th October - Coffee Morning in aid of Carrog Village Hall - at home with Mrs R.D. Jones

Carrog School
P.T.F.A Beetle Drive - Thursday 20TH. October 6.30 p.m. in school.
“Pick and Mix“ Talks - all in Carrog School.
“The importance of being exercised” - Dr. Rob Haworth -Tues. 18th October 7.30
“Creative writing” - Dr. Edmund Cusick - Tues. 8th. November 7.30
“Creative writing” - Dr. Edmund Cusick - Tues. 22nd. November 7.30
- Harvest Festival - Monday 17th. October - Baptist Chapel 2.15 p.m.
- Friday 14th. October - Church 2.00 p.m.

Carrog Village Clay Shoot - Sat. Oct. 15th 11.00 a.m. Start.
All locals welcome! - Many Prizes!
10 Bird Novice Stand.
25 Bird Re-Entry.
Further information from Alan Dolben, Steven Davies or Gareth Bryan.

Wednesday 19th. October - Capel Seion, Corwen - Merched Y Wawr.

Wednesday 26th October Baptist Chapel Meting - Check with Lil Powell.

Advance notices

Monday 7th November - 7 p.m. Carrog Village Hall Committee meeting

Tuesday 8th November Methodist Chapel Meeting - check with Marion Brown.

Saturday 12th. November - 8 p.m. 1940’s Celebration Night - Carrog Village Hall.

Monday 14th November - 7.30 p.m. Corwen healthy Living Centre Talk and Roadshow.

Tuesday 29th November - St. Ffraid’s Christmas Fair - Carrog Village Hall.

To be arranged in December - Carols around Christmas Tree - Carrog Village Hall.

Monday 26th. December - Boxing Day Clay Shoot.

Δ – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –

© Copyright “Y Bont” unless otherwise indicated / Hawlffraint “Y Bont” oni nodir yn wahanol.